[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X Emacs] On Enhanced Carbon Emacs

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Wed Dec 15 04:59:27 EST 2004

  As a (happy) user of ECE I would like to express my gratitude to
Enrico, first. Then I would like to stress one point which I think
qualify most Enrico's work. I think that, in general, there is a big
problem for OSX. This problem is that most of the code works out of the
box (either because it comes from OS9/Carbon either because it comes
from Unix/X11) however it should be appreciated that OSX (even if it is
a Unix-like operating system), is NOT unix. Libraries are not supposed
to be installed in /usr/lib, neither support files, neither man pages.
On NeXT/OSX bundles should provide the appropriate packaging for all
kind of data: frameworks for libraries+includes+resources, .app for
applications+specific support, ecc... ECE goes into the right direction
providing a relocatable place for emacs, which look a bit more
OSX-like.

So some hints for unsatisfied (and unpolite) ECE users:
- If you can build CVS emacs yourself and you are ok with all its stuff
in /usr/local/  then just do not use ECE.
- I think that customize ECE is not more difficult than customize emacs.
- If you want a better font support and user experience then the
problem is with Carbon non with Enhanced. Just provide some code to
Cocoa Emacs ( http://kamares.ucsd.edu/~arobert/GNUstep/emacs.html) to
bring it at the level of the Carbon version.

(Hurra')^3 for Enrico.

Massimiliano Gubinelli

PS: I always dreamed to send something on Enrico's printer, somewhere
in the world....

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>