[OS X TeX] Ghostscript 8.50 i-Package

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 21 13:57:53 EST 2004

On 21 dec 2004, at 2:13, Eitan Gurari wrote:

> In the latest version of tex4ht, xhmlatex and other similar scripts
> can be obtained through a compilation of the form `latex
> mkht-scripts.4ht'. In earlier versions a similar file provided the
> scripts--I don't recall its name.

Thanks, I needed to get two additional TeX files, but things went
smoothly after that.

> The xhmlatex script is useful just for very specialized applications;
> I know of no one besides me using it. The mzlatex variant provides  a
> more friendly output for browsers.

<grin> I'm investigating the use of tex4ht to translate small snippets
of latex math-code into mathml. This is some background research for
future versions of the Equation service or similar applications
(attaching
both the latex and mathml encoded versions of the same math-code to the
pdf,
made easy with pdftk). I'm still wondering whether I should go for the
"pure" mathml or for a browser friendly version. The idea is that for
example
OmniOutliner can extract either the mathml or the latex version of the
equation
for export into other formats.

> I don't think it is justified to offer unpacked all the different
> scripts in any distribution.  There are already too many scripts, and
> they are destine to even increase in number. However, it might be
> worthwhile to ensure proper production of scripts from mkht-script.4ht
> for the mac distribution. With a little help, I'll be glad to do this
> part.

It is quite a list, for anyone to try it for themselves: make sure you
run the
latex mkht-scripts.4ht command in a new and empty directory. You can
then choose
which ones to keep (from the roughly 70 that are generated: half of
those for
Windows). I think I can say that including them all (36 is pointless,
but deciding
which ones to install is best left to the user).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>