[OS X TeX] Emacs compilation time

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Wed Dec 22 00:41:28 EST 2004

	Hi Bruno! Just recently I read your thread about building emacs and I
would like to help you out. I recently joined the DarwinPorts team
after a few years of being a frequent lurker around the dp list,
catching bugs, writing reports about them, submitting fixes to some
ports and new ports myself, etc., so they awarded me with the
"jmpp at opendarwin.org" address (feel free to contact me through it
whenever you like), thus making me a formal part of the team. However,
and I'm quite ashamed to say this, you already know how hard it is to
get a hold of me sometimes and how constrained I'm generally with time
(physics, computers as a hobby and as a job, sports practically every
day... you know the drill! I hardly ever post on this list or read it
anymore, shame...), so I might to be readily available. Many times
before you've written to me about varied topics and I've left you
hanging, for which I'm really sorry and I apologize.... :'-(

	In any case, I might be able to at least guide you in the right
direction, because I've not really built emacs myself. I can still tell
you, though, 14 hours of compile time is *not*, under any
circumstances, a reasonable scenario unless you're building something
like a compiler itself (gcc, ghc, etc), and even then it's still a bit
exaggerated, so there's surely something at fault (even more if you
consider, as you accurately pointed out, that emacs +carbon has no
dependencies what so ever). First of all, I would advise you to use the
-d flat to port(1) to get the full log of all that's happening, your
build process could have fallen into a loop and you wont notice it if
you don't see any output; top(1) would still report CPU usage but that
means nothing in itself. You can do the following (at this point
probably as an exercise only, to at least claim victory at one point!):

export PATH="/opt/local/bin:$PATH"  (<-- if you're using bash, I don't
remember the syntax with tcsh but it goes something to the effect of
"setenv PATH <something-else> ...")
sudo port -vd clean --all emacs
sudo port -vd install emacs +carbon 2>&1 | tee emacs.out (<-- the
character right before 'tee' is the vertical bar to pipe from one
command to the next)
(-v is for verbose output and -d is for verbose and debug output,
though -d implies -v)

	Those commands will, first, set your $PATH with dp in mind (that will
help you avoid /usr/local being picked up, but it will not assure it),
clean everything in dp related to emacs (starting with a clean
environment is the best) and then attempt a new build, taking every
single line of output and placing it in the "emacs.out" file, at the
same time showing them to you on your terminal. Then I would advise you
to go over to the DarwinPorts mailing list (darwinpors at opendarwin.org),
it's quite friendly (don't quote me on that! ;-) and it surely has a
lot of people infinitely more experienced on emacs than me. If you're
concerned about message size or attachments, the list is quite flexible
about them, so you can either send the entire log pasted onto your
message or as an attachment, don't worry about it. You'll surely find
answers there from dp and emacs knowledgeable people, like the
maintainer of the emacs dport himself, no less than Jordan Hubbard ;-).
If you're with sufficient time on your hands (should I answer that
myself? ;-) you can even join us on the #OpenDarwin channel of the
Freenode IRC network, where a lot of us hang and lurk practically all
day long. In order to do this you can install the "irssi" dport and
then use "irssi -c freenode" and then join the #OpenDarwin channel
(you'll have to pick up a nick, please excuse my explanations if you're
familiar with IRC chatting).

	I might not be readily available because I'm gonna be out of town
tomorrow and then again on Thursday, for the most part of the day on
both occasions. But in any case if you feel I can guide you further
don't hesitate to write to my OpenDarwin address or look for me on the
IRC channel, I hope to not let you down this time ;-)

	After you're done with the process, you should revert your $PATH back
to what it was. Please tell me how it goes, I'm on Christmas holidays
now so I should have, at least, some time ;-). I hope to be able to
garner your interest in DarwinPorts a bit further, as it was pointed
out in a reply to a message of yours it is really improving and turning
into a nice and complete software manager (the recent additions are
great and the next ones to come are gonna be pretty cool too, trust
me!).

	Well, Bruno, I say by now and hope to see you coming with some white
smoke! Regards,...

		Juan

PS: One thing I forgot, before you try to build emacs again, I would
advise you to update your DarwinPorts tree to be sure you have the
latest port tools and the latest emacs Porfile available (it was
patched by Jordan a couple of times recently). Updating DarwinPorts
depends on how you first checked it out. If you did it through CVS (the
likelihood), you'll have to cd into the darwinports/ directory and then
use "cvs -q update -dP". If you see anything under the base/ dir as
being updated (the letter 'U' right next to the file) or patched ('P')
then cd into it and rebuild the infrastructure with "make distclean &&
./configure && make && sudo make install && make distclean). Then you
can cd into dports (cd ../dports) and rebuild the index (by running
'portindex'), though that's not strictly necessary. Hehe, I hope this
PS is in time, I hope you didn't already start the build... hehe! Hope
to talk to you soon, bye!

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>