[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2004, PDFTeX magnification problem.

Edward Thome ed.thome at murraystate.edu
Tue Dec 28 21:47:03 EST 2004

Hello.

Since TeXLive 2004 became available via i-installer, I've installed and
kept it updated.  With every update, I've had the same problem:

Using pdfTeX on a document with magnification other than 1000 results
in incorrect margins in the printed document.  Curiously enough, the
pdf file, as viewed through TeXShop, iTeXMac, xpdf, or Preview, looks
fine.

For exams and the like, I commonly use
\magnification = 1095
or
\magnification = 1200

If I use TeX->dvips->ps2pdf, then everything works as expected with
1-inch margins (printed on us letter paper), but if I use pdfTeX on the
same document I have little or no margins on the printed page.   This
is true whether I use pdfTeX from cli, TeXShop, or iTeXMac, or if I
print via lpr or TeXShop,  If I print from Preview, it warns me that
the document is too big to print on letter paper and asks me to scale
or crop.

Interesting points to make:
1.  Reverting back to TeXLive 2003 solves this issue.  Uninstalling
everything and reinstalling TeXLive 2004 brings it back.
2.  This happens on both my eMac at the office and my iMac at home.
3.  My drive failed on my iMac, so I got a chance [ :-) ] to reinstall
everything from scratch.  I still have the problem.
4.  pdfLaTeX works as it should
5.  As noted above, TeX->dvips->ps2pdf works as it should.

Has anyone else seen this and/or know of a solution?

Thank you in advance.
Ed

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>