[OS X TeX] Outlining ersatz

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Tue Dec 28 23:05:31 EST 2004

Well, thanks again. "But":

As it turned out, I couldn't resist going at it right away. And then,
for some reason that I have now forgotten, I had to look up Companion
2ed which, on page 19, suggests using the package askinclude. So, I tried.

Here is what it does.

I cut each chapter, replaced it in the man file by \include n, n = 01,
02, etc and pasted it in a new file that I saved as n.tex

Then, when I typeset, the console asks me to give it a list of chapters,
say 01, 03, and then, upon return, typesets all that I left in the main
file plus 01 and 02. If I respond with *, everything is included while
with - it includes nothing. Later, "[i]f the user presses return, the
files from the previous run are included automatically (except on the
first run, in which case all files are
included)" The only trouble, infinitesimal, is that the console remains
behind the pdf.

To change the order of two chapters, I just "just re-order things in the
main file", say

    \include{02}
    \include{01}

instead of

    \include{01}
    \include{02}

That's it!

Plus, when I control click somewhere on the pdf of, say, 02, then
TeXshop opens the file 02.tex and finds the source. Incredible.

So, thank you because if it hadn't been for you I would have spent
another six months renumbering my comments.

Plus thank you for explaining the difference berween \include and
\input. Right now, though, contrary to what I said, I will not move
sections. But, next week perhaps, I will find out if askinclude will do it.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>