[OS X TeX] Outlining ersatz

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Dec 29 10:27:27 EST 2004

On 12/28/04 10:05 PM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net> wrote:

> Well, thanks again. "But":
>
> As it turned out, I couldn't resist going at it right away. And then,
> for some reason that I have now forgotten, I had to look up Companion
> 2ed which, on page 19, suggests using the package askinclude. So, I tried.
>
> Here is what it does.
>
> I cut each chapter, replaced it in the man file by \include n, n = 01,
> 02, etc and pasted it in a new file that I saved as n.tex
>
> Then, when I typeset, the console asks me to give it a list of chapters,
> say 01, 03, and then, upon return, typesets all that I left in the main
> file plus 01 and 02. If I respond with *, everything is included while
> with - it includes nothing. Later, "[i]f the user presses return, the
> files from the previous run are included automatically (except on the
> first run, in which case all files are
> included)" The only trouble, infinitesimal, is that the console remains
> behind the pdf.
>
> To change the order of two chapters, I just "just re-order things in the
> main file", say
>
>   \include{02}
>   \include{01}
>
> instead of
>
>   \include{01}
>   \include{02}
>
> That's it!
>
> Plus, when I control click somewhere on the pdf of, say, 02, then
> TeXshop opens the file 02.tex and finds the source. Incredible.
>
> So, thank you because if it hadn't been for you I would have spent
> another six months renumbering my comments.
>
> Plus thank you for explaining the difference berween \include and
> \input. Right now, though, contrary to what I said, I will not move
> sections. But, next week perhaps, I will find out if askinclude will do it.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I'd advise you give the chapter files useful names that describe the
contents rather than numbers. In the end I think having numbers for file
names will only lead to confusion since 03.tex will come before 02.tex, etc.

If you make sub-files of sections you should also avoid number names for the
section files for the same reason.

While the file names should be descriptive don't use spaces since (La)TeX
doesn't like spaces in file names. Try using what some people call
CamelNames which squeezes the spaces out.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>