[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release. Bug fix.

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Dec 29 20:22:00 EST 2004

Am 29.12.2004 um 22:37 schrieb Curtis Clifton:

> [teTeX]$ kpsewhich 8r.enc
> [teTeX]$ find . -name '8r.enc'
> ./share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc
> [teTeX]$ pwd
> /usr/local/teTeX
> [teTeX]$ kpsewhich --show-path 8r.enc
> .:/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/share/texmf/fonts/enc//

Above I see that you are here (/usr/local/teTeX) and the file 8r.enc is
there
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc), but
the search goes somewhere else:
/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/share/texmf/fonts/enc// (//
at the end means: do it recursively). The leading '.' just states: have
a look on the current working directory too to find at least the tex
source file (no recursion!).

Can it be that both me and TeX are bit confused?

Wouldn't you like to try this in your shell, and only this one?

1. set an environment variable TEXMF to
/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development, either in bash as 'export
TEXMF=/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development' or in tcsh as
'setenv TEXMF /usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development'		# to get
the new HOME of TeX valid for further sessions in only this shell
2. invoke 'sudo texhash'		# to create the 'hash files' in the
/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development tree
3. invoke 'sudo updmap'			# to create the font map files in the
/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development tree
4. (pdf)latex <your fourier file>

Since your new installation is *not* in the default place you need to
tell this TeX. In /usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/texmf.cnf
are only paths *relative* to the $TEXMF root declared. When the root is
wrong everything has to fail ... (therefore I've chosen to rename my
working TeX system and install the EXPERIMENTAL stuff in the usual
place -- deliberately making my old TeX system for some time possibly
unusable, until I rename it back)

What is Sherlock Holmes always telling Dr. Watson in English? I think
this is the case. (But errare masculinum est -- in German it sounds
great!)

--
Greetings

   Pete