[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release. Bug fix.

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 00:02:42 EST 2004

Pete,

On Dec 29, 2004, at 7:22 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 29.12.2004 um 22:37 schrieb Curtis Clifton:
>
>> [teTeX]$ kpsewhich 8r.enc
>> [teTeX]$ find . -name '8r.enc'
>> ./share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc
>> [teTeX]$ pwd
>> /usr/local/teTeX
>> [teTeX]$ kpsewhich --show-path 8r.enc
>> .:/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/share/texmf/fonts/enc//
>
> Above I see that you are here (/usr/local/teTeX) and the file 8r.enc
> is there
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc),
> but the search goes somewhere else:
> /usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/share/texmf/fonts/enc//
> (// at the end means: do it recursively). The leading '.' just states:
> have a look on the current working directory too to find at least the
> tex source file (no recursion!).
>
> Can it be that both me and TeX are bit confused?

Yes.

What results do you get on your machine when running the commands
above?  As I said later in my previous email, the directory
/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/share/texmf/fonts/enc does
*not* exist on my machine.  The problem is that the TeX i-Package
configures the paths wrong.  I have TeX installed in the default
location: /usr/local/teTeX.

> Wouldn't you like to try this in your shell, and only this one?

> Since your new installation is *not* in the default place you need to
> tell this TeX. ...

As I said, my installation *is* in the default location, so your
proposed experiment would not be useful.  The configuration for fonts
in pdflatex in the TeX i-Package is just broken.  I have uninstalled
the i-Package and rolled back to a backup version from June that I
recovered from my archives.  I'll wait for Gerben to either sort this
out or ask specific questions of me based on the report I sent him off
list.

Again, thanks for your persistence.  I would invite you to try
typesetting the following document using *pdflatex*, not just latex.
As I said before, that is a key to the problem.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fourier}

\begin{document}

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

\end{document}

Best,

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>