[OS X TeX] wrapping lines in verbatim

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Fri Dec 31 06:59:30 EST 2004

Hi,

I use verbatim to include the raw output of a statistical package (R)
in a document. There are many long lines that go off into the right
margin and even off the page.

I found out that if I use the Memoir class, I can use the \wrappingon
option to wrap long lines. First I'd like to check I am using it
correctly: because the Memoir class manual talks of turning this option
on and off I assumed the option was placed after the verbatim command,
like this:

\begin{verbatim}
\wrappingon

This did not work as the option was typed "verbatim", I should have
expected that. So I placed it before:

\wrappingon
\begin{verbatim}

and it works (partially, see below). But it means that to turn this
option off for part of a long text, one cannot just issue

\wrappingoff

and continue with text, but rather one has to do

\end{verbatim}
\wrappingoff
\begin{verbatim}

Is this correct, or is there a simpler way to turn line-wrapping on and
off within a single verbatim environment?

Using "\wrappingon" has only partially solved my problem. Some lines
contain complete path names that are fairly long and contain no spaces.
Such lines continue to go into the margin. Is there a way to force
wrapping in such cases, akin of hyphenation maybe? If a solution exists
but is incompatible with the Memoir class, I'd still like to know about
it.

Thanks in advance,

Denis Chabot

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>