[OS X TeX] footnoting in a tabular

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 10 16:00:50 EDT 2004

On 10 jul 2004, at 19:22, Alain Schremmer wrote:

[snip, on footnotes in a tabular]

> I see that "you can use footnote commands inside the longtable
> environment." (Companion2ed 263).

That is one option, but remember that the table no longer floats in
that case. This is sometimes a feature you want, sometimes not.

> Do I really have to put my tabular in a minipage and use footenotemark
> (Companion2ed 110)?

Yes, that is not too hard, I think. Why ask if you already know the
answer?
You should of course have looked on the FAQ:
     http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=footintab

> What am I missing here?

Nothing, at least after you read the FAQ.

Maarten

To appear less grumpy, and maybe even helpful, here is an example:

\begin{table}
\caption{Table with footnotes}
\label{tbl:withfootnotes}
\begin{minipage}{\textwidth}
\renewcommand{\thefootnote}{\thempfootnote}
	\renewcommand{\footnoterule}{} % remove separator between table and
footnote, optional
\begin{tabular*}{\textwidth}{@{\extracolsep{\fill}}lll}
blah & blah\footnote{but not the same blah} & And some more blah
\end{tabular*}
\end{minipage}
\end{table}