[OS X TeX] footnoting in a tabular

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 11 06:23:35 EDT 2004

On 11 jul 2004, at 7:01, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Neither or them came outright saying, as the FAQ (which I have now
> bookmarked) does,
> 	The standard LaTeX \footnote command doesn't work in tables; the
> table traps the footnotes and they can't escape to the bottom of the
> page.

Ah, but that is even less trivial, as footnotes for tables, at least in
physics and probably mathematics as well, are traditionally put at the
bottom of the table, and use alphabetical markers, not the main
footnote marker. If you want them as part of the main footnote
mechanism, one of the packages may offer that (mdwtools or footmisc is
where I would start looking, see that FAQ entry for more details).

> and the minipage solution seemed a bit of an overkill …

That is a fairly benign solution, but it keeps the footnote with the
table, it doesn't insert them into the main footnote list. You didn't
mention if the tabular is embedded into a table environment, which
makes thing even harder (that is why the longtable solution can be
easier). You might try to play with \footnotemark (which places the
label) and \footnotetext{} which produces the entry, numbered with the
current footnote number. See page 173 of the Lamport Book (the book
that _is_ light reading, and is recommended to get started. It already
answers a fair number of your questions).

Maarten