[OS X TeX] Feedback

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Jun 3 10:23:48 EDT 2004

> Hi Gerben,
>
> Am 03.06.2004 um 13:31 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>> Entry
>>
>>     http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23517
>>
>> could use some honest & friendly feedback, I think ;-) so that people
>> get
>> an idea what it is.
>
> How about changing the description on VersionTracker? It's a bit
> general, isn't it? How about
>
> "TeX installer and much more"
>
> instead of
>
> "Internet-based installer program"

It is a generic installer. The fact that people sometimes think (and
write) that it is TeX specific is for me a nice thing to read. It means
that for a generic installer, it can be experienced as something pretty
specific.

> for the quick description.
>
> And how about something like
>
> "With this internet-based installer you can install a Unix based TeX
> system on your Mac. Furthermore it can install many other great
> packages, like GhostScript, ImageMagick or PfaEdit which aren't just
> great for a TeX system.
> i-Installer started out as a pure TeX-installer but has now evolved
> into much more."

This is not true. i-Installer started out as a general installer.

> instead of the very dry and  general description? That way, people
> would more easily recognize i-Installer for what it is. I think I'd
> have skipped i-Installer's entry on VT hadn't I known what it is
> because I'd have thought it's something like InstallAnywhere or VISE
> Installer, i.e. something for developers and not something for end
> users.

Well, it is on Versiontracker for developers. There are enough pointers
for people wanting to install TeX.

There could however be an entry on versiontracker for gwTeX...