[OS X TeX] i-Installer: texconfig fails

Will Tuladhar-Douglas will at nairatmya.org
Mon Jun 28 03:48:08 EDT 2004

On 28 Jun 2004, at 00:32, George Ghio wrote:

> Hi
> Can anyone help with installation of Texlive on my new iMac (OS 10.3).
> Have tried the instructions on the DVD several times to no avail.
>
> Everything seems to work as expected. Install runs smoothly.
>
> Texconfig results in command not found.
>
> Texlive suggests < /user/local/teTex > as the place for installation
> on Mac.
>
> Is any of this correct? Have I lost the plot?

There's a similar problem with Gerben's i-Installer which surfaced
after the most recent system update. Kpathsea complains that it can't
locate a configuration file (fmtutil.cnf). I checked texmf.cnf to see
that it was not corrupt, checked my paths, reinstalled everything and
got the same error.

  I then went to to extreme measures - rm -rf on the whole teTeX tree
then reinstall - and texconfig still fails - it complains that it is
unable to fine a default application for dvi files and fails. It sound
as though there may be something wrong with kpathsea, but I don't know
what. I'm trying a fink install this morning - which should recompile
everything - but if this is a known problem, I'd be delighted to hear
some good news.

-Will.
Dr. WB Tuladhar-Douglas		+44 (0)7739 872 398
Wolfson College, Oxford			will at nairatmya.org