[OS X TeX] i-Installer: texconfig fails

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Jun 28 05:25:08 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 08:48:08AM +0100, Will Tuladhar-Douglas wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2004, at 00:32, George Ghio wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >Can anyone help with installation of Texlive on my new iMac (OS 10.3).
> >Have tried the instructions on the DVD several times to no avail.
> >
> >Everything seems to work as expected. Install runs smoothly.
> >
> >Texconfig results in command not found.
> >
> >Texlive suggests < /user/local/teTex > as the place for installation
> >on Mac.
> >
> >Is any of this correct? Have I lost the plot?
>

> There's a similar problem with Gerben's i-Installer which surfaced
> after the most recent system update. Kpathsea complains that it can't
> locate a configuration file (fmtutil.cnf). I checked texmf.cnf to see
> that it was not corrupt, checked my paths, reinstalled everything and
> got the same error.
>
>  I then went to to extreme measures - rm -rf on the whole teTeX tree
> then reinstall - and texconfig still fails - it complains that it is
> unable to fine a default application for dvi files and fails. It sound
> as though there may be something wrong with kpathsea, but I don't know
> what. I'm trying a fink install this morning - which should recompile
> everything - but if this is a known problem, I'd be delighted to hear
> some good news.
>
> -Will.

I have nothing intelligent to offer on what exactly went wrong, but
the TeX Live cd/dvd is maybe not the best way to get TeX on OS X.
The OS X version on it is really just a Darwin version, without OS
X-specific tweaks. You could visit
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html and download
up to date versions of i-Installer, TeXShop and TeX itself from
there.

--
Siep Kroonenberg