[OS X TeX] [Slightly OT] Special formatting for first page

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Jun 28 15:29:12 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:50:41PM -0400, Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

> This worked. Thanks. Now I need to force a the columns on the last page
> to be less than half a page long. The newsletter is folded in half and
> the last half page is for the return address and mailing adress. Any
> way to do this? Ideally I'd like the last half page to be a graphic
> spanning both columns with the text from the first column wrapping to
> the top of the second. These things were very easy to set up in
> InDesign, but the students don't have ID and even if they did I don't
> have time to teach them how to use it.
> _____________________________________
> Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
> (Albert Einstein)
>
> Jon Breitenbucher

Two things to try:

1. make a float for the two-column stuff. However, I have often had
a hard time making floats appear where I want them.

2. use the multicol package, which allows you to switch between one-
and two-column typesetting without generating a pagebreak. The
documentation for this package is probably in
<path-to-texmf>/doc/latex/tools/.

--
Siep Kroonenberg