[OS X TeX] 9.5pt font size

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 23 02:49:01 EST 2004

On 23 mrt 2004, at 7:37, AB&C Sheldon wrote:

> Hello all, hopefully I have a quick question. I am LaTeXing an 800
> page book and need to use 9.5pt computer modern over 11 pt leading
> throughout. I have succeeded in using 9 over 11 with the command
> "\renewcommand{\normalsize}{\fontsize{9}{11}\selectfont}" in the
> preamble. Unfortunately the command does not work if I replace 9 with
> 9.5. I get numerous errors of the following variety:
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/m/n' in size <9.5> not
> available
> (Font)              size <9> substituted on input line 156.
> Any suggestions?

You don't specify a font, so I'll assume computer modern, since that is
scaled in steps so not all sizes are available. You have to scale
either 10 pt down to 9.5 or 9pt up to 9.5. The full details are in
chapter 7 of the (old) LaTeX companion*. You want to mess with
\DeclareFontShape, and for CM these are defined in the .fd files. Which
one you should use as a template depends on the encoding you use, but
have a look at the /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/
directory to get some examples.

Copy the contents of one of those files between a \makeatletter ...
\makeatother pair, and experiment away...

You probably want the text from the book to understand what's going on
(and no, I'm not going to type that out, it is about 20 pages).

HTMH

Maarten

* don't rush out and buy one, wait a month and _then_ buy the new
edition... Can't wait? go to the library ;)