[OS X TeX] is i-Installer cool?

Mícheál Mac an Airchinnigh mmaa at eircom.net
Sat May 1 11:16:02 EDT 2004

On 1 May 2004, at 15:36, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I am thinking of entering i-Installer 2.63.0 in Apple's Design Awards.
> Given that my view on the matter is by definition parochial and not
> necessarly correct, I would like to ask you as my main user community
> for help in answering the questions. As a user, what is your view on
> the matter?
==========================
What a wonderful opportunity to praise the author!
The tool is kool as in Blue Kool! (Is this Aqua?) :))

> The main question to answer on the contest form is:
>
> • Briefly state the outstanding design features of your contest entry.
> (For example: what's unique? what's super cool? what is particularly
> noteworthy?)
============================
I have been a Computer Scientist all of my life (when I have not been a
Mathematician.
Now at age 54 I find that it becomes more and more difficult to do the
simplest things
that I could do at 30 :)))
I have learned to program in about 15 P languages.
Now ... my abilities fail and fade!
It is a little surprising ... but then so do my natural language
abilities (4+ languages).

This is where the i-Installer needs to be praised.
Already I am using Apple since 1983 ... best move I ever made (apart
from getting married).
Words (of a technical nature) fail me to tell how wonderful i-Installer
is
***for elderly people like me***

[Is that brief enough?]
:)))

> Other questions of interest are:
>
> • Describe your contest entry's target users (i.e. who uses your
> product, what is their occupation, work environment, workflow, etc.)
============================
I have used TeX and then LaTeX (and now experimenting with XeTeX) all
of my professional life since about 1983!!!
I am a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science at the University of Dublin,
Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
I take great professional pride in the quality of my public examination
papers (and lecture notes) that have always been
typeset (originally in TeX, now in LaTeX).
Bottomline: I calim to be representative of a certain AGED class whose
failing faculties are rewarded by
Mac OS X (panther), iBook, eMac, and the ability to keep up with the
wonderful world of TeX(-live)
(thanks to you Gerben).
> • Explain what you have done to make your contest entry better on Mac
> OS X when compared with it's counterparts or competition on other
> platforms.
============================
What competition is there to i-Installer?
... pause ...
fink, of course ...
which I also use ...
but for some strange reason I *love* the (new) i-Installer interface.

> Gerben

====================

Edit my text as you will!
I guess that my key contrib *must* support for the "geniuses" who are
now aging :)))
Been in Computing since approx 1970 (I think).
:)))

... o O o O o ...
Dr. Mícheál Mac an Airchinnigh
Senior Lecturer