[OS X TeX] rtf2rtf2latex2e

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sat May 1 20:05:33 EDT 2004

  When I try to install rtf2latex2e with Gerben Wierda's i-installer, I
get the following

    Compiled with

        ./configure
        sudo make CC=gcc2 install

    Make install says:

    Please set the environment variable RTF2LATEX2E_DIR to
    /usr/local/rtf2latex2e.

    rtf2latex2e i-Package release notes

    2004/01/28:
    . Recompile with gcc2 on Mac OS X 10.3.2

which. being very much a LaTeX beginner, I don't even begin to
understand but would seem to indicate that the ancient rtf2latex that I
had tried under 9.2.2, had been brought back to Panther life. I am
running into a number of problems, though.

(1) the ancient version was a standalone, xxx UNIX was the icon as I
recall it, but I can't find any trace anywhere on my hard disk of what
Gerben Wierda's i-installer installed.

(2) It then occured to me that Gerben Wierda's i-installer might have
plugged rtf2latex2e /into/ TeXshop which is what I am using. So, I
thought I would try to open some rtf file from TeXshop.

(3) Now TeXshop does open .*doc* files but this does not seem to have
anything to do with the package as I /un/installed the rtf2latex2e
package with Wierda's i-installer and TeXshop can still do it. Of
course, there is garbage up front but the text /is/ there, with, of
course, no formatting whatsoever. What is surprising is that when
TeXshop opens the *rtf* version of the same file, the result is an
enormous and completely unreadable file and I can't even see the /text/.
Either way, what I see does not look anywhere like a TeX file as with
the old rtf2latex with the xxx UNIX icon.

I hope someone can help as this is for a good cause: I have several
mathematics textbooks, unfortnatley in MS Word, that I would like to
place as open source on a web site a colleague is constructing to that
purpose. (I am aware that, unless I buy Word2Tex, I am not going to have
any automatic translation, if then. My problem with Wor2Tex is mostly
that it is for Wintel and, at least for the moment, this is where I draw
the line.)

Regards
--schremmer