[OS X TeX] TEX Version (was) is i-Installer cool?

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Tue May 4 16:39:20 EDT 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 1:18 PM, locutus at eircom.net wrote:

> Hi,
> I downloaded the TeX backend and then TeXShop frontend for Mac OS X
> (using 10.3) and they're working fine; how do i find out what version
> of TeX I'm using???  2e or 3?  Is 3 even out yet?

In the terminal type:

tex -v

and smack the enter key.

you get:

TeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592
kpathsea version 3.5.2
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the TeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the TeX source.
Primary author of TeX: D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others