[OS X TeX] is i-Installer cool?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Mon May 3 09:35:04 EDT 2004

Althugh this is not a formal answer to whatever the contest is, I would
lile to second Thomas Schröder' entry and, in particular and absolutely,
where he writes.

    Even complete novices to TeX can do it and don't have to worry about
    anything.

Well, I /did/ worry but, as he wrote,

    On other platforms you have to install things like tex4ht,
    ImageMagick, GhostScript, PfaEdit, XFig or other tools yourself and
    as a newbie you won't even know about these great additional tools.

I didn't even know about /that/! As he wrote,

    On other platforms you get flooded with too many options and too
    much information both of which can become very scary for newbies.

In fact, I was about to give up. I have a running commentray of my
frustrations that I wrote as I was trying just to find out what the
difference between LaTeX and TeX was and what to try and install. I
tried in fact another installation. Although my first Mac was a 256,
this time I couldn't even figure out which way was up. I then tried
i-Installer by accident, being on the TeXshop site and liking the
no-nonsense of its instructions. And it worked.

Well, sort of. I mean I wasn't even able to make it say "hello". It
required someone else to write me a piece and send it to me so that I
could see what was needed. And I found the Indian TeX Users Group' LaTeX
Tutorials. (Much recommended even though they ought to have a /real/
beginners version with a lot fewer options. See above. Still I recommend
it.)

After that, it wasn't smooth sailing either. For instance, I need to
translate some 2,000 pages from MS Word (rtf). So I installed
rtf2latex2e and, since I couldn't even find it, lost several days. I
took Adam maxwell on this board to explain to me why. Granted, I am not
even a novice. But this brings my to my point.

*With all gratitude and thanks to TeXshop and i-Installer, and I truly
mean it, even this combination, as good as it is, is stil not the TeX
"for the rest of us". *

We, the install-idiots, need a lot more than the two panels in TeXshop,
LaTeX panel and Matrix panel. Here is my laundry list /at this very
early time/ in my learning of TeX.

    A panel for making /tables/, one that looks like the MS Word.
    Rewrite rtf2LaTeX so that it can be plugged in into TeXshop
    Probably the same for LaTeX2rtf.
    A panel to import and place /graphics/.
    When writing the tex file, one should be able /not/ to see the
    "blue" line commands just the way one can in MS Word by clicking ¶
    (option 7). While pros may not be distracted by it, I am.

To elaborate on my point.

    I want to be able to concentrate on /writing/ and, while I need
    /some/ formatting to help me express my ideas, I am not willing to
    "pay the price". In other words, as much I loathe MS Word for the
    number of times it crashes—I even invented one way, this is as far
    as I want to learn.

    The reason I went the TeX route is that a colleague of mine, David
    Santos, and I are starting a web repository for college mathematics
    textbooks, probably under something like the GNU Free Documentation
    Licence. (See my letter in the May Notices of the AMS for the need
    thereof.) So, I needed to convert my mathematics textbooks and, in
    the future, write, in a "transparent" format. I tried to install
    OpenOffice but failed. I am waiting for the Mac OS X version "within
    a year".

Why don't I make it my project to write the code myself? I would love
to. But I think that I can make better use of whatever time is left me
by continuing to write mathematics textbooks. But /that/ is another story.

But, please, keep in mind that there a lot people out there like me who
have no desire to "understand TeX" anymore than they have of
understanding MS Word.

In the course of my quest for a TeX that I could have a chance actually
to be able to use, I came across an open letter from someone apparently
well-known who was worrying about MS' new language and who was
advocating a course of action. (I am sorry to be vague, I think that I
book-marked it and, should anyone be interested, I will try to find it.)
The point is that he was worried that Open Source would eventually
become a fringe thing. I understood him to say, as I recall it, that
Open Source had to be written for "the rest of us". Else Open Source
would never become significant and would remain some sort of erector set
for the very few.

Regards and Thanks
For all those who helped me here and for those who wrote the stuff in
the first place.
--schremmer