[OS X TeX] is i-Installer cool?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 3 11:09:17 EDT 2004

Le 3 mai 04, à 15:35, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> *With all gratitude and thanks to TeXshop and i-Installer, and I truly
> mean it, even this combination, as good as it is, is stil not the TeX
> "for the rest of us". *
>
> We, the install-idiots, need a lot more than the two panels in
> TeXshop, LaTeX panel and Matrix panel. Here is my laundry list /at
> this very early time/ in my learning of TeX.
>
>    A panel for making /tables/, one that looks like the MS Word.
>    Rewrite rtf2LaTeX so that it can be plugged in into TeXshop
>    Probably the same for LaTeX2rtf.
>    A panel to import and place /graphics/.
>    When writing the tex file, one should be able /not/ to see the
>    "blue" line commands just the way one can in MS Word by clicking ¶
>    (option 7). While pros may not be distracted by it, I am.
>
> To elaborate on my point.
>
>    I want to be able to concentrate on /writing/ and, while I need
>    /some/ formatting to help me express my ideas, I am not willing to
>    "pay the price". In other words, as much I loathe MS Word for the
>    number of times it crashes—I even invented one way, this is as far
>    as I want to learn.
>
>    [snip]
>
> But, please, keep in mind that there a lot people out there like me
> who have no desire to "understand TeX" anymore than they have of
> understanding MS Word.

Given the above, you might be more interested by a WYSIWYG approach to
(La)TeX, using (La)TeX as its formatting engine but "hiding" it behind
a WYSIWYG front-end, such as:

- LyX <http://www.lyx.org/> (free and with Mac OS X port)

- TeXmacs <http://www.texmacs.org/> (free and with Mac OS X port)

- Scientific Word <http://www.mackichan.com/> (commercial and