[OS X TeX] pdf 1.4 vs 1.5

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at adelphia.net
Mon May 3 22:54:20 EDT 2004

For the first time I run into the following error message when trying
to include a pdf figure in pdflatex:

Error: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex (file
fig.pdf
): pdf inclusion: found pdf version <1.5>, but at most version <1.4>
allowed
  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

The figure in question is a pdf produced by a scanner. The pdf is
opened without complains by TeXshop and by Preview.  Interestingly,
after I manually edited the first line of the pdf to read %PDF-1.4, it
was processed by pdflatex without complains. Is there a conflict of
versions between tetex and pdf?

Themis