[OS X TeX] pdf 1.4 vs 1.5

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Mon May 3 23:54:24 EDT 2004

On 4 May 2004, at 12:24, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> <pdf error>
>
> The figure in question is a pdf produced by a scanner. The pdf is
> opened without complains by TeXshop and by Preview.  Interestingly,
> after I manually edited the first line of the pdf to read %PDF-1.4, it
> was processed by pdflatex without complains. Is there a conflict of
> versions between tetex and pdf?

Hi Themis

Yeah, pdftex was designed at version 1.4 (I think) of the PDF spec. As
a safety net it doesn't allow PDF1.5 documents just in case they
contain some of the new features that it wouldn't understand. In
general, though, the will be no difference between PDF files of all
versions if the documents are fairly simple.

There is a flag you can set to ignore the error, but I can't remember
what it is. Manually editing the file works fine if you don't have to
do it lots :)

Will