[OS X TeX] TeX is not for the faint of heart

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed May 5 22:43:03 EDT 2004

I was just making a suggestion in reaction to the fact that the names of
a lot of i-packages are less than completely transparent. I assume that
you are not in command of these names and, in any case, as I believe "m"
wrote, the name is not what matters.
As for the analogy with VISE, I am afraid that MS is notorious enough
not to need any introduction.

Please understand that I am absolutely not holding you or, for that
matter any one, responsible for any of what I have deplored here. (It
would be silly as well as vastly unfair as I have had more help here
than I even conceived was available.) Plus I am grateful and loyal to
TeXshop + i-installer and have writtten so, here, many times.

I merely think that with minimal improvements, TeXshop + i-installer
could be the choice of many /more/ people. How many math teachers, say
in two-year colleges are using it? Consider, for instance, that
submissions to The /Review/ of the American Mathematical Association of
Two-Year Colleges are to be in MS Word and that it is typeset in MS Word.

My particular interest is that in order for texts to come under the GNU
Documentation License and to be placed on the site my colleague and I
are preparing, they will have to be in TeX. But, in my experience, not
many of my Two-Year colleagues write in TeX. And, until they do, the
students will have to pay outrageous amounts for commercial textbooks
that change just enough from year to year to have killed any second-hand
market.

One last thing that I deplore is that, being on my way out, I /have/ to
spend what time I have left to where I can be most efficient, that is to
write a mathematics textbook, and that I /cannot/ do more than suggest
(and to pay for a mactex.org name or whatever would be most
appropriate). In other words, I regret that I cannot participate, if
only because I am a programming illiterate, in the work that would be
necessary to address what I think would be needed.

Finally, even though I continue to read this mail, I have to desist from
further participating in the discussion as I /must/ get back to
recasting what I already wrote of my book in TeX and then continue
writing it. And work on the site.

Similarly, I must also decline Wendy McKay's flattering invitation. At
least until I have caught up with my work. But I would like to be on the
mailing list if I may be without participating.

Regards to all.
--schremmer.