Re: [OS X TeX] how to get the ï character ?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Thu May 13 01:24:33 EDT 2004

On May 13, 2004, at 1:10 AM, Axel E.Retif wrote:

> On May 12, 2004, at 11:52 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>
>> If the file is encoded in Latin 1 it should be pretty portable. I've
>> exchanged Latin 1encoded Spanish written files with Linux and Windows
>> using friends and have yet to experience the first incompatibility.
>
> Thank you. Good news. I knew it was compatible with Linux, but I
> thought it might cause trouble with Windows.

	Well, hehe, it'd be worth noting that I'm a blissfully Windows
ignorant person and, by mere coincidence, all the Windows friends I've
exchanged files with are pretty computer savvy. So I wouldn't know if
the compatibility is instantaneous or not. I do know Latin 1 is *not*
the native Windows file encoding, as much as it wasn't the Mac's back
in OS 9 days and earlier (MacRoman was), so probably the reason why *I*
haven't seen any incompatibility is because them (my friends) have
known how to read Latin 1 in their respective editors. Someone with
more Windows experience than me could clear this out, maybe Rene, who
recently spent some time setting up a Windows LaTeX environment while
his PowerBook was taken to the hospital ;-)

> Gracias de nuevo

	Jeje, de nada... es cómico como dos personas que hablan el mismo
idioma se mantienen aún así con el Universal para mantener la
"compatibilidad" con el resto de la lista! Un placer ayudarte, o
ayudarme puesto que estoy reportando un bug, o ayudarnos... o whatever!
:-) Hoy por ti mañana por mí, decía un dicho.... Mejor, hoy por los
dos!

> Axel

		Juan