[OS X TeX] Problem with Figure Numbering and Glossaries

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 18:08:32 EDT 2004

On 28 mei 2004, at 18:25, Lisa Schweitzer wrote:

> I am still (!!!) trying to clean up my dissertation in the last seconds
> before filing it and I've noticed that TexShop is doing something
> weird. In
> figure captions, it numbers the figure properly (Figure 1.1, 1.2, 1.3)
> but
> in the reference in the text, the reference includes the separate
> numbering
> for each section (so instead of the nice Figure 1.3, I get Figure
> 1.7.1.
> Ick. I just want the figures numbered consecutively throughout the
> chapter.

A common cause for this is \label{} before \caption{}, make sure you
keep the right order when labeling:

\begin{figure}
\centering\includegraphics{whatever}
\caption{The caption}
\label{fig:afigurelabel}
\end{figure}

> Also, have any of you produced documents with both Glossaries and
> What do you use to make glossaries? I am a little intimidated by
> compiling
> GlossTex in the time I have left. Does it work well with TexShop? Any
> tips
> on successful compiling on in OSX?

For the index makeindex should suffice, but the important bit is to
decide what to index. This is _not_ easy, and may take a lot of time.
Most convenient method I've found is to print out a copy, take a marker
and read the whole piece, marking all words and page ranges that you
want to index.

As far as glossaries are concerned: the important bit is to decide what
to put in them, beyond that a list item in twocolumn mode may suffice.

Maarten