[OS X TeX] latest pdftex DVI vs PDF mode

Axel E.Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Wed Nov 10 03:12:47 EST 2004

On Nov 9, 2004, at 9:06 PM, Axel E.Retif wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2004, at 11:20 AM, Alexandru Scorpan wrote:
>
>>> latest pdftex is expected to run either in pdf or dvi mode, but how
>>> the switch is made?
>>>
>>> Moreover, how can we recognize that we are in pdf mode and not dvi
>>> mode (this is for pdfsync)?
>>
>> pdftex was always able to produce dvi output.
>>
>> Start your document with \pdfoutput=0 and dvi will be the end result.
>>  Do nothing or start it with \pdfoutput=1 (or more) and pdf will come
>> out.
>
> With the recent gwTeX distribution (TeXLive 2004, teTeX 3), pdf is the
> output even for the simple command `` latex '' (in the shell, for
> example).

Oops! I have to eat my words. I just tried

latex -interaction=nonstopmode '%S.tex'

(the Kile default) and I got a dvi file (the same with `` latex '' in
Terminal.app). I don't know what happened ---when I first installed
gwTeX (2004), Kile (and the shell) refused to make a dvi, untill I
found the I had to use the ``-output-format dvi'' option.

Sorry for this.

Axel

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>