[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Jack Kuipers kprs at calvin.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:56:34 EST 2004

To: Schremmer, in particular, but also (perhaps, especially) to those
(it seems to me) on the list  who want to improve TeX and LaTeX before
suffering to learn it:
I have been following much of what comes on this list, and it is
tiring. Too many people are critical and are trying to make TeX and
LaTeX simple without learning the rules of these very unique
typesetting (Knuth, etal) applications.
I am approaching my mid-eighties, and I still use TeX/LaTeX --- NOW
with a certain measure of confidence. I have a problem; but will
present it later. First, ...
Ten years ago (maybe slightly more) I started on a book --- with Word.
My son said, "Dad, use TeX or LaTeX."  So, he being a good son looking
out for my interest, I tried LaTeX (a la TeXTures --- BlueSky). AND,
that's when I started tearing my hair out, and, I confess,  even worse.
After a month or so, I called Ben, and said, "I'm going back to Word, I
can't learn this wretched typesetting code stuff --- I'll never finish
anything."
He said, "Dad, PLEASE, stick with it; you'll be SO glad you did."
Well, I DID stick with it. And I am VERY GLAD I did. I got the book
done. I furnished all 400+ pages, which included a lot of mathematics
along with well over 100 rather complicated figures, all drawn by me
--- all of it, CAMERA READY, to Princeton University Press. The book
came out in hardcover, and after a couple printings, they decided to do
a paperback, which is still doing very well. It is now, at least, in
its 5th printing (to me, unbelievable). 'Never would have happened in
Word.
The ENTIRE BOOK (on: Quaternions) WAS DONE USING LATEX (Textures).

But now my problem: TeXTures doesn't work on Mac OSX 10.3.6, and
recent. I'm in the process of changing to TeXShop (appreciating much
help from Dick Koch).  I would again like to use \include and
\includeonly when doing individual chapters of the book. And also, I'm
trying to find an easy way to manage and include all the figures I
choose to have in this text. I do not want to go back to Mac OS 9, or
earlier.

I thank and congratulate the many learned folk on this list who give
help on topics specific to TeXShop and LaTeX.  I am using TeXShop 1.35e
and would like to convert all TeXTures code and figures to Mac OSX
(panther). Any suggestions?

Jack Kuipers
PS: I apologize for spleen venting.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>