[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Nov 17 16:33:35 EST 2004

Jack Kuipers wrote:

> But now my problem: TeXTures doesn't work on Mac OSX 10.3.6, and recent.
> I'm in the process of changing to TeXShop (appreciating much help from
> Dick Koch).  I would again like to use \include and \includeonly when
> doing individual chapters of the book. And also, I'm trying to find an
> easy way to manage and include all the figures I choose to have in this
> text. I do not want to go back to Mac OS 9, or earlier.
>
> I thank and congratulate the many learned folk on this list who give
> help on topics specific to TeXShop and LaTeX.  I am using TeXShop 1.35e
> and would like to convert all TeXTures code and figures to Mac OSX
> (panther). Any suggestions?

Can you give more detail on the kind of conversion you've got to do:

- Non-standard fonts used, using Textures facilities for doing so?

- LaTeX packages used?

- Format of figure files? Are you just willing to convert these figures for inclusion in TeXShop, or to edit them beforehand?

I've been using MacWrite II/Pro and Expressionist from 1990/91, then TeX on OS 9 (with Textures first, then in parallel OzTeX and also a bit of DirectTeX) from 1992/2000 , and finally TeXShop since. For the figures I used MacDraw Pro then Claris Draw then Adobe Illustrator. I've been able, after some experimentation, to convert most MacWrite files to PDF and most Textures files to TeXShop (except those relying on OS 9 fonts). Thus I think what you look for should be doable.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>