[OS X TeX] elsart class for Elsevier journals

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 18 17:03:22 EST 2004

On 18 nov 2004, at 22:45, Michael S. Hanson wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2004, at 4:15 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>>> I've started work on a paper I'll be sending to one of the Elsevier
>>> journals. I remember having read recently on this list that the
>>> files Elsevier provides have some bugs in them. The two files I'm
>>> most interested in are the class file and the .bst file. (elsart.cls
>>> and elsart-num.bst).
>>
>> That would have been a warning from my side. The problem lies in the
>> bst file. It changes all characters in the title to lower-case,
>> including the letters in command-names, no matter how you protect
>> them. The solution is to use makebst to create a bst file that
>> adheres to the standards for your specific journal (the
>> elsart-num.bst file is a generic file, it isn't valid for all of the
>> elsevier journals).
>
> 	FWIW, I recently used the elsart-harv.bst file for an Elsevier
> journal and did not have any problem protecting capitals in the titles
> of cited articles.  I managed my .bib file by hand (i.e. with BBEdit
> and TeXShop rather than with any bibliography software) and had
> entries such as:

[snip. Parentheses around the items? I thought only curly braces were
allowed. You learn something every day...]

> 	These entries reproduced the bracketed capitals as expected.

Note that both myself and the OP were referring to the numerical
counterpart, and they may have fixed that one in the meantime, but I
doubt it. Anyway, the journals that use numerical citation all have
slightly different requirements - have a look at the bibliography in
the Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer and
compare that to Chemical Physics Letters. Both from Elsevier, both use
numerical citations. The bibliographies couldn't be different (well,
one includes the title of the reference, the other doesn't). In any
case, you have to customise that part, regardless. Better start with
your home-grown makebst version, and avoid the headache altogether.

> Note that the reason I don't use a bibliography manager is that I have
> not yet figured out how to get one to correctly reference another .bib
> file that contains all of my journal abbreviations, with entries such
> as:
>
> @string(BPEA = {Brookings Papers on Economic Activity})
> @string(IER = {International Economic Review})

Same thing here... but BBEdit works well enough for me, especially with
the aid of a glossary.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>