[OS X TeX] Missing characters in Preview w/CJK

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 22 17:37:37 EDT 2004

I am not a technical expert, but having spent many days trying to get
dvipdfmx to work properly, I would strongly discourage using it:

1) It was, for me at least, even with very considerable and most
generous assistance, difficult to install and get running properly.

2) More importantly, the resulting PDF was *not* better.  That is,
although the PDF files dvipdfmx produced did work properly under
Apple's Preview, they did not print properly from Adobe Acrobat on our
departmental Lexmark printer -- the printer simply dropped all the
pages after the first appearance of a Chinese character.

3) In fact, the National Science Foundation does not accept PDF output
from dvipdf or related programs because of the problems they have had
with them.

I have returned to using pdftex, which seems to work on everything
except Apple's Preview.  I never was able to determine what the exact
problem was.  But TeXShop has a macro to view PDF output in Acrobat,
and I use that.

Best,

Roger

On Sep 21, 2004, at 2:55 AM, issio at free.fr wrote:

> This is a known bug with pdfTeX (check CJK Mailing List archive for
> detailed
> explanations). You should use "dvipdfmx" instead.

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

email: rhart at mail.utexas.edu
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rhart

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>