[OS X TeX] manpath and teTeX's executables

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Sep 26 05:20:41 EDT 2004

This fix should not be necessary. If you have enabled CLI use in
i-installer both your tcsh and basg paths have been changed and
manpath.config has been changed as well so man works.

If it does not, chances are you have some other environment variable
setting overriding the correct workings. The most likely candidate is
MANPATH. Don't set it.

On Sep 24, 2004, at 05:09, Arthur Ogawa wrote:

> I found after installing Gerben Wierda's TeX (which of course contains
> teTeX) that I could not bring up man pages of the teTeX executables:
>
> localhost$ man makeindex
> No manual entry for makeindex
>
> After consulting "man manpath", I fixed things by making a symlink in
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:
>
> localhost$ echo $PATH
> ~/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/
> bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

It seems you have created your own PATH settings. You have your
personal and TeX bin directories at the start of your PATH. This is not
how I set them, so you must have changed your environment in some other
way. BTW, having these two in front can be considered a security risk
(it simplifies the workings of trojan horses).

> localhost$ cd /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
> localhost$ ln -s ../../man
>
> (The symlink points to the man pages installed with teTeX.) Now man
> does find the man pages for the various executables of teTeX.
>
> I wonder what others have experienced in this connection? It seems
> that there might be room for improvement in the installation process,
> both in making the executables available without requiring each user
> of TeX to modify their $PATH and in making the man pages available to
> users. What do you think?

That you need to check what you have changed yourself, e.g. through
~/.cshrc, ~/.login files.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>