[OS X TeX] New to Emacs, where to begin?

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 6 14:18:16 EDT 2005

I have found Deborah Cameron's "Learning Gnu Emacs" very helpful, as it
has a section which is specific to TeX and LaTeX. That's good as a
starting point. There are lots of used copies for sale on ebay, amazon,
powells, etc. I have two copies (one for home and one for office) which
cost me about $10 each.

The section on abbreviations and macros are are also very helpful - I
make extensive use of both abbreviations and macros when I'm LaTeX-ing
in Emacs. I also use TeXShop from time to time, and when I do, the lack
of abbreviations is probably the thing I miss most.

It's also helpful to learn the keystrokes for getting around a document
(beginning of line, end of line, top of document, end of document,
etc.).

Also, if you don't already do so, try using a 3-button mouse, and use
the middle-click function in Emacs - it lets you select a portion of
text with the mouse, place the pointer elsewhere, and middle click in
order to past the selected text. This is a very fast and convenient way
to paste text.

I hope this helps,

Fred Hoyt

On Apr 6, 2005, at 1:09 PM, Mika Luoma-aho wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> downloaded the new GUI-Emacs and trying it out. Still unconvinced, but
> heard so many good things about it so might give it a go as
> LaTeX-editor. I love using TextMate at home on a Mac, but Emacs would
> also run at work. But where should I begin? Is there something to read
> (apart from TFM), a FAQ perhaps that would teach me the basics of
> doing LaTeX with Emacs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mika.
>
> --
> Mika Luoma-aho, PhD
> University of Lapland
> Faculty of Social Sciences
> PO BOX 122
> FI-96101 Rovaniemi
> Tel. +358 (0)16 341 2648
> --

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

"Hell is other people at breakfast." - Sartre

Frederick M. Hoyt
Linguistics Department
University of Texas at Austin
www.livejournal.com/users/frederickhoyt