[OS X TeX] Filmography with BibTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Apr 7 12:47:31 EDT 2005

Hi Thomas,

thanks for answering.

> For the small caps you might have to use makebst to create your own
> BibTeX style file, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. If you
> want to know how to use makebst, type
>
> texdoc makebst
>
> in the Terminal. To customize your own style file, type
>
> latex makebst
>
> and answer the questions according to your taste and needs.

I more or less got the smallcaps part, the problem is the following:

>> - For every further citiation I only want to the shorttitle (if it
>> exists, otherwise the long title) with a year. Film title should
>> still be in small caps: Dr. Strangelove.
>
> I thought I read something about this but couldn't find it anymore.
> What I did find, though, was the manual to jurabib. The jurabib
> package at least gives you the \citefield command with which you can
> cite any field of your bibkey e.g.
> \citefield{shorttitle}{Kubrick.S:1964}. For the small caps you'd have
> to use makebst again.

I use jurabib and know the \citefield{shorttitle} command, the problem
is I really want this automatized. We're talking about 200+ pages
document here, and having this done automatically would be extremely
cool.

>> - The entry in the filmography should also include the German title
>> (titleaddon) and the land, the original title should be in smallcaps,
>> the German title plain : Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop
>> Worrying and Love the Bomb (Dr. Seltsam oder Wie ich lernte, die
>> Bombe zu lieben). Stanley Kubrick, GB 1964.
>
> I _think_ you should get this by incorporating "ANNOTATIONS" in
> makebst. IIRC this just gives you all of the nonusual fields in a .bib
> file but I might be mistaken.

I also got the bibliography entry working more or less after hacking
jurabib.bst

> As I said, it might work the way you want it, but maybe not quite as
> automatically as you had hoped for. I'm still trying to remember that
> other package that does more automation. If I have some time, I might
> even try out one or two things. Sorry, I can't do more at the moment
> :-(

Thanks for taking your time.

simon

--