[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX]

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 23:30:02 EDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 18:08, Richard Grubb wrote:

> I believe the spinning wheel indicates a lack of memory or a lot of
> swapping of virtual memory (do a google search, cause I am really just
> guessing here). I know when I let my start-up drive get too full, it
> doesn't have enough disk space for virtual memory. Perhaps 10.4
> requires more memory.

I think the spinning wheel means that the app has wandered off into the
weeds, and isn't responding through its "work loop".  I see this either
when the app is in a tight loop, churning up CPU cycles, or when it is
in a wait condition, essentially sleeping, awaiting a response from
another agent (e.g., the net).

You have to look deeper to determine the cause.  'top' will tell you
whether the app is spinning or waiting.  'sample' will give you a hint
about what it's doing.  'shark' may tell you more.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large