[OS X TeX] Version control of documents in TeXShop

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 19:49:46 EDT 2005

Stephan Hochhaus wrote:

> Am 12.08.2005, 00:02 Uhr, schrieb Andrew Kurtz <andrew at kurtz.ws>:
>
>> Is there any support in TeXShop for document version control?
>
> I doubt that TeXShop has that functionality (otherwise Dick would
> have  bragged about it in the features list ;-)). The only "editor" I
> know of  that supports some kind of built-in version control system is
> CopyWrite,  which isn't designed for working for TeX files.
> My advice would be to set up a repository on your system (preferably
> subversion, not cvs) and have a working folder with your tex
> documents.  After each editing cycle all you need to do is fire up one
> line in  Terminal.app or use one of the GUI versions.

I am writing a book. What I do is just to "Command D" my working folder
"n" (it also includes an Intaglio folder and a pdf folder for the
figures, bibliography and whatever else), change the name of "n-copy" to
"n+1" and shove "n" into the folder "Previous". Takes about 30 seconds.
Has worked fine for me because it automatically also takes care of
version control for the figures, etc. Plus, whenever needed, I just copy
the folder onto my laptop and I have everything I need, figures and all,
to work elsewhere.

Regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>