[OS X TeX] OT: PDF display problems

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 30 08:31:57 EDT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 5:02 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 17 août 05 à 01:48, Herbert Schulz a écrit :
>

>> Unfortunately I think it's related to disk i/o which is where
>> Spotlight does its thing so lots of RAM may not solve it. Sigh...
>> I think Apple will have to update the kernel+ to fix this one.
>> Hope it's in 10.4.3!!! whenever that is coming out. Of course,
>> what do I know!?
>>

> This morning I've just met this bug again, and did screenshots this
> time. Here's viewing the fontspec doc in TeXShop once <http://
> homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.Public/fontspec-trial1.png>, and the same
> again after quitting and re-opening TeXShop <http://
> homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.Public/fontspec-trial2.png>.
>
> I've seen this at times in TeXShop and -- I think -- Preview, and
> also in the printed output when printing a text-only message from
> Mail.
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I've read that there are lots of things changing in 10.4.3; among
them something having to do with Spotlight. I assume that it will
take some time to debug it if there really are big changes coming. I
assume there will also be changes with PDFKit also.

By the way, I was having some problems with long pauses, with the
beach ball, when going to the Extensions Tab in RCDefaultApps and the
problem ended being related to LaunchServices Cache. This problem
also shows up by displaying the same application multiple times in
the Open With Contextual Menu. The author of RCDefaultApps (and also
ManOpen) told me about this fix:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486>

which deletes and rebuilds the LauchServices Cache. This corrected
both problems and also stopped mdimport from taking 17-20% of CPU
folr a short period of time every 10 seconds. There is a downside to
this: this also will reset the "application-has-been-launched-before"
flags, so you will be prompted the first time you open an application
by double clicking a document. That extra click one time per
application was definitely worth it for me. Did it solve all of my
problems? No, but it has further reduced the times I run into them.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>