[OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Norm Gall gall at spookyhill.net
Wed Dec 7 12:07:09 EST 2005

On 6-Dec-05, at 6:59 PM, Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill wrote:

> Michael> On 7 Dec 2005, at 01:37, Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill wrote:
>>> I'm running 10.4.3, but the only .tex file that Spotlight finds
>>> happens to have a Type of "TEXT" and was created (on someone else's
>>> PowerBook) by "OTEX".   Could you perhaps tell me what are typical
>>> Type
>>> and Creator fields of any of the .tex files which Spotlight finds
>>> for
>>> you?  You can get this information from
>>>
>>> /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo FILE
>
> Michael> Memoir.tex is one of my custom TeXShop templates, created
> in TeXShop.
> Michael> It is found by Spotlight when searching for "usepackage".
>
> Michael> otis:~ mike$ /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo /Users/mike/
> Library/TeXShop/
> Michael> Templates/Memoir.tex
> Michael> file: "/Users/mike/Library/TeXShop/Templates/Memoir.tex"
> Michael> type: "TEXT"
> Michael> creator: "TeXs"
> Michael> attributes: avbstclinmEdz
> Michael> created: 06/25/2005 17:47:14
> Michael> modified: 06/25/2005 17:47:14
>
> Thanks!  It would seem that Type "TEXT" gets imported, hence
> if I were to change the type of my .tex files to TEXT then Spotlight
> ought to import them.  I'll have to try that...

This is exactly right. TeXShop write TEXT files and so those files
get indexed.

However, if you are using any of the emacsen, they do _not_ get
written as TEXT files and as such require an importer. I have one,
but it is linked to my yaced Carbon Emacs.

I am going to make my importer good for any .tex, .latex. and .texi
file before Xmas.

ng

--
"Battles are won by slaughter and manoeuvre. The greater the general,
the