[OS X TeX] Find in texshop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 18 10:31:43 EST 2005

On 18 Dec 2005, at 16:09, Christopher Allen wrote:

>> Common usage for a word like figure is "see figure~\ref
>> {fig:blah}", so just adding the spaces probably won't be enough.
>> You can try to use regular expressions:
>>
>> \sfigure[\s~]
>>
>> (search for whitespace (space, tab, return), figure (not case-
>> sensitive, if you want) followed by whitespace or a tilde).
>
> I still think the space before "figure" is far more important than
> examination of things afterward. I would guess that he wants to
> find things like your "see figure~\ref{fig:blah}" which will be
> found by only searching for white space before "figure." I
> particularly think that avoiding the search after "figure" would be
> important so you can find things like "figures" and "figure," and
> "figure." and "figure;" and "figure'" and more. There are very few
> marks that can show up adjacent to and preceding "figure" in
> standard English; there are more and more frequently used ones that
> show up afterward.

Yes, you're right. Still, since TeX treats a space essentially the
same as a return, a \s before is the important alteration with
respect to you plain search pattern.

> Could you do [\s"'(] or something like that prior to figure?

[\s'(]figure would probably be enough, since in TeX the " isn't
normally used. To capture the whole word, this pattern
	(:?\s|'|\()figures?
is probably better, since it captures the plural as well (the last
letter may or may not be there.

Since I don't know the exact intentions of the OP, this may actually
be better:
	\bfigures?\b
(the \b indicates a word boundary, anything that is not a letter,
with some strings attached. It will find the figure in \begin{figure}
as well).

> I don't know the limits of regular expressions.

Regular expression are very powerful, though not easy to master. I
can recommend to read the section on regular expressions in the
BBEdit or TextWrangler help. The help files can be downloaded
separately, and they are the best introduction I've found so far.
(http://www.barebones.com)

Maarten