[OS X TeX] Recommendations for downloading LaTEX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 2 06:38:38 EST 2005

On 2 Feb 2005, at 11:28 am, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 2 feb 2005, at 12:19, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>>> On Feb 1, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>> Perhaps the best thing here would be to track what the MikTeX folks
>>> do,
>>> use the same filesets for .ii2 files as they use for their .cab files
>>> and it'd ``just work''.
>>
>> I have investigated .cab files a while back to see if I could build an
>> i-Package interface to a MiKTeX repository, but the result was
>> negative:
>> there is no free .cab tool for unix as I recall.
>
> Ah, gotta love Google: http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php
> I recall I tried it last time we had this discussion, and the cab
> format
> isn't too pleasant, a hierarchy will be extracted into a single
> directory,
> with the directory names squashed into the file-name. This may of
> course be
> caused by this piece of software.

I was about to respond with a link to cabextract, but you got there
first!

Not sure how long ago you tried this, but one of the "changes since
0.6" is "no longer gets / and \ mixed up". Might that have something to
do with the problem you saw extracing hierarchies? The web page
mentions "preserving any internal directory structure". Might be worth
another look.

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>