[OS X TeX] how to install AASTeX for TeXShop?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 4 10:32:39 EST 2005

On 2/4/05 8:49 AM, "Alexandre Bouquin" <bouquina001 at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi I'm new to LaTeX. Does anyone know what to do?
> I downloaded the package here
> http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AAS/AASTeX/
>
> Cheers,
>

> Alex

Howdy,

What you have downloaded is a macro package that sits upon LaTeX. You'll
need a complete TeX system and probably want a GUI interface to that system
like TeXShop. Try looking up these URLs:

Mac OS X TeX Site: <http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/>. Great for an
introduction to what you need to get and lists lots of possiblilities. I'd
suggest going with Gerben Wierda's gwTeX using i-installer.

TeXShop: <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html>. A nice GUI
interface to TeX/LaTeX. It also has a small intro to what LaTeX is all about

GwTeX Site: <http://www.rna.nl/tex.html>. I'd download the TeX-fat.dmg which
has the TeX installer, TeX package and Ghostscript 8 to get you started. It
also has information on LaTeX as a starter.

LaTeX is NOT a simple system you learn in a couple of hours. You'll NEED
help in learning things but there is lots of help available. There are lots
of tutorials on line but I'd download lshort (Not So Short Introduction to
LaTeX) from CTAN (Comprehensive TeX Archive Network):
<www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf>. The instructions
on how to run LaTeX are Command Line Based and TeXShop makes it easier;
concentrate on the document oriented things and you'll be up and making
beautiful documents in short order; learning how to customize things will
take a good deal more time.

That is a short list! Don't expect miracles right away. If you know someone
that already knows LaTeX ask them for help too. Slow down.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>