[OS X TeX] XeLatex accents (revisited?)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Feb 6 21:17:49 EST 2005

Hi Hans,

On 07/02/2005, at 8:35 AM, Hans van Maanen wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> This question was here a couple of days ago, but if it came, I did not
> catch the answer... sorry.
>
> I am using XeLatex to get the sanserif font I want, but I prefer CM
> for ordinary text. So I don't have to load CM, I just do, with UTF-8
> and Will's great fontspec package:
>

> \documentclass[12pt]{book}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \usepackage[dutch]{babel}
  Do you really need Babel?  Why?
  If so, try loading it *before*  \usepackage{fontspec} .
  Does this loading-order still give you problems ?

> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
   Almost certainly you don't want this input-encoding;
   you said you were using UTF-8, so it cannot be correct with XeTeX.

> \begin{document}
> Hell\"o world
> \end{document}
>

> However, there's still no ö in the output, and I get a warning
> 'LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
> (Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on input
> line 5.'
>
> And a bit higher up the console asks: '*** did you really mean 'n ?
> ***'
>

> I'm afraid I'm missing just one step. Which one?

I think you are using packages that are completely out-of-date
for use with XeLaTeX.
Just comment out the lines loading 'babel' and 'applemac' encoding.

There may be some 'dutch' customisations that you still want,
but your example isn't sufficient to see these.
So try loading Babel first, then 'fontspec'.

If you still have problems with your LaTeX documents,
then please send an example.

> Thanks,

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>