[OS X TeX] Colored words

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sat Feb 19 18:09:27 EST 2005

Herb Schulz wrote:

>On 2/19/05 11:35 AM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net> wrote:
>>Now that my dental problem has been cured, I would like to know how I
>>can emulate TeXshop's source style.
>>Specifically, while, in Companion2ed, I found that fancyvrb allows one
>>to reformat a whole line (page 157), I have not been able to
>>"Helveticize" and color single words within a line of regular LaTeX text.
>Documentation for the fancyvrb package is in
>Or use the symbolic link
>assuming you've got the documentation loaded. Basically you've got to tell
>the Verbatim environment what to use as a ``command'' character.
>What kind of pretty printing are you trying to do? If it's programming
>language printing take a look at the listings package.
>Good Luck,
>Herb Schulz
>(herbs at wideopenwest.com)
I read the documentation which I found indeed better than Companion2ed.

The "pretty printing [I] am trying to do" is reproducing TeXShop's
source file. (I finally got hooked by my own petard and had to agree to
write … the intro to LaTeX that I would have liked to have last year.)
For instance, I would like to be able to write stuff like

Say you want to Boldface the word "text". Select "text", Go Window >
LaTeX panel > Typeface > Bold. Observe that, in the source, "text" is
now the argument of \textbf{ }. Typeset.

in which "text" appears in Helvetica rather than between quotes, \textbf
appears in blue Helvetica and the curly braces in green.

So far, though, I have only been able to get what follows which is still
far off the mark.

This text is within DefineShortVerb, \Verb+this text is in verbatim, +
and this is more text within DefineShortVerb.

This text is within Verbatim, \textcolor{red}{this is Red Text within
Verbatim,} and this is more text within Verbatim.

This is body text while
this text is in helvetica, the font used in the text file in TeXShop.
this is more body text.

Best regards