[OS X TeX] Empty boxes, no chars

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 28 09:54:00 EST 2005

On 2/28/05 8:34 AM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> \def\dolist{\afterassignment\dodolist\let\next= }
> \def\dodolist{\ifx\next\endlist \let\next\relax
>  \else \\\let\next\dolist \fi
>  \next}
> \def\endlist{\endlist}
> \def\track#1\by#2{\def\\{\next\kern#2}%
>   \leavevmode \hbox{\expandafter\dolist#1\endlist}}

Howdy,

Ok, let me give it a go. What do list does is to grab the next ``character''
and then see if it is ``\endlist''. If it is it stops processing otherwise
it executes whatever is assigned to``\\'' on that character. That last part
could be dangerous since \\ has a specific meaning in LaTeX and is being
redefined here. You could define another macro instead to be safer.

Very tricky. The usual way a ``list'' is processed on character at at time.
Right now I can't remember what the list processing commands are in Lisp (to
get the first item off a list and the rest of the list) but that was what I
usually called them instead of ``\dolist'' and ``\dodolist''.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>