[OS X TeX] Bibliography: pedestrian way works too...

Josep M.Font pepf54 at tiscali.es
Thu Jan 13 05:41:29 EST 2005

El 13 ene 2005, a las 10:27, Mohinish escribió:

> Hi,
> I was thinking of being able to distribute the .tex file itself, so it
> would be easiest to use the 'pedestrian' way, but with only the
> relevant bibtex entries inserted automatically..
> from what I see, the .bbl files are not(?) bibtex? Im sorry, I dont
> know.. Is it the case that if I insert the .bbl file entries into my
> .tex it would work as if I had inserted the bibtex entries themselves?
> (nb: i use apacite for the American Psych. Assn  style of formatting)

Yes. You should not insert the .bbl *entries*, but the whole contents
of the .bbl file. You will notice this is actually a single
"bibliography" environment, with all the entries already formatted
according to the BibTeX styles you have used to generate it. This
environment should replace the command \bibliography, at its same place
(which is where you want your bibliography to appear). You can also
delete the \bibliographystyle command as it becomes useless from now
on. In this way, your .tex file is complete with its own bibliography.

That said, I have one question regarding this issue. The above method
is OK for distributing single articles to colleagues, etc. However, if
one has to send the .tex source for a collective publication (book,
journal) with its own bibliography style (which you don't have) then
you have to send the .tex source together with a .bib source for your
paper. Thus, an utility that extracts the relevant bibtex entries from
your big database would be much appreciated.

JMaF

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>