[OS X TeX] Compile Mathematica files "saved as" Tex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jan 20 07:00:02 EST 2005

Am 20.01.2005 um 04:34 schrieb Amy Lee Wangsness:

> Transcript written on mfput.log.mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf
> \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> nonstopmode; input zwarm' failed.! Font OT1/zwar/m/n/7=zwarm at 7.0pt
> not loadable: Metric (TFM)
> file not found.

Supposing that "zwarm" is a Mathematica font and that Mathematica
brings the TFM and other font support files with it you would have to
put these files into the Library:texmf:fonts area. I have this
structure:

drwxr-xr-x  6 pete  pete  204 20 Jan 01:12 afm
drwxr-xr-x  6 pete  pete  204 20 Jan 01:12 tfm
drwxr-xr-x  8 pete  pete  272 20 Jan 01:08 type1
drwxr-xr-x  6 pete  pete  204 20 Jan 01:12 vf

Each of this directories (folders) has for us humans a repeated
sub-structure that tries to reflect whether the font is public or is
commercial coming from urw++, Monotype, Bitstream, Adobe ... leading to
this for me:

/Users/pete/Library/texmf/fonts/afm:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 19 Jan 01:10 bitstream
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 20 Jan 01:12 lucida
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102  1 Jan 14:08 monotype
drwxr-xr-x  7 pete  pete  238 20 Jan 01:03 public

/Users/pete/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 19 Jan 01:10 bitstream
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 20 Jan 01:12 lucida
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102  1 Jan 14:08 monotype
drwxr-xr-x  7 pete  pete  238 20 Jan 01:03 public

/Users/pete/Library/texmf/fonts/type1:
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 17 Jan 23:53 bitstream
drwxr-xr-x  5 pete  pete  170 20 Jan 00:39 lucida
drwxr-xr-x  5 pete  pete  170  1 Jan 12:49 monotype
drwxr-xr-x  7 pete  pete  238 20 Jan 01:09 public

/Users/pete/Library/texmf/fonts/vf:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 19 Jan 01:10 bitstream
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102 20 Jan 01:12 lucida
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete  102  1 Jan 14:08 monotype
drwxr-xr-x  7 pete  pete  238 20 Jan 01:03 public

If you like you *can* adopt this by creating four directories called
wolfram and inside them each a MathTex folder to have them and their
specific contents mapped/corresponding to your TeX support files. The
TeX programmes themselves need at least parts of this structure:

Library:texmf:fonts:tfm   to hold .tfm files,
Library:texmf:fonts:vf    to hold .vf files (usually not always
existing),
Library:texmf:fonts:type1 to hold .pfa or .pfb files,
Library:texmf:fonts:afm   to hold .afm files (usually not always
necessary).

Your error messages explains that TeX thinks "zwarm" font is based on
METAFONT descriptions or sources, so TeX tries to invoke mf to generate
pk and tfm files for this font (PK is the bitmap or shape of the glyph,
TFM is a set of boxes into which the glyphs fit needed to align them to
words, lines, paragraphs ...). So it has to fail because the
Mathematica font surely is PostScript font.

If you'll need to create PS or PDF output for printing the document,
you'll too need a map file! It would belong into
Library:texmf:fonts:map:dvips and/or Library:texmf:fonts:map:pdftex
(and, maybe, Library:texmf:fonts:map:dvipdfm too, if you were going to
create PDF with dvipdf/dvipdfm programmes). All these map files can
have the same name "MathTex.map" and must be activated with super-user
or root privileges à la 'sudo updmap --enable MathTex.map' -- so you
might just put all the files into a tree
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts  for users of your Mac. Then,
before invoking updmap, you'll to invoke 'sudo texhash'.

You'd need someone using Mathematica to tell you the contents of
MathTex.map, if Wolfram hasn't created this file under a different name
with the extension .map ...

--
Greetings

   Pete