[OS X TeX] Compile Mathematica files "saved as" Tex

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 20 10:15:34 EST 2005

I use Mathematica quite a bit and write up the results in LaTeX using
TeXShop. Others have offered very helpful suggestions on how to get
your Mathematica notebooks, saved as TeX files, to run under LaTeX.  I
don't like this option because, especially with the earlier versions of
Mathematica, the result is sometimes to reproduce the "look and feel"
of what you see on the screen in Mathematica, rather than formal,
typeset mathematics.

My suggestion for a dissertation or for publishing -- even for an
appendix -- would be to selectively write up your results, instead of
including your entire Mathematica notebook. When you want to include an
equation from Mathematica, use the command

TeXForm[Hold[your_equation]]

"Hold" is important -- it tells Mathematica not to simplify or change
your equation. "TeXForm" converts to clean LaTeX without Mathematica
fonts, spacing, or styles, though you may want to make some changes,
for example using pmatrix instead of array. The newest version, 5.1,
gives considerably cleaner output than version 3. I don't know about
version 4, but for students Mathematica is steeply discounted, about
$150 if I remember.

I hope this is of some help,

Roger

On Jan 19, 2005, at 9:34 PM, Amy Lee Wangsness wrote:

> Can anyone help me as to what I should do next-- or do you have a
> better idea about
> how to put .nb files in a Tex document?

********************************

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222