[OS X TeX] Current "best practice" for Lucida under TeXShop [OT]

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 06:46:21 EST 2005

On 25 Jan 2005, at 11:35 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> I also note that the Lucida Bright TTFs included in the Java package
> do *not* permit any embedding (not even read-only subsets); this seems
> to imply that they are licensed *only* for use on the host computer,
> for screen display or to create raster images. (I haven't tried
> creating a PDF via OS X Quartz to see if it actually respects the
> no-embedding restriction, but I assume it would.)

No, if I move the font to ~/Library/Fonts, then I can use it freely in
Textedit, including printing to pdf. Acrobat then tells me the
resulkting pdf has an embedded subset of the font. Acrobat will also
happily print the document.

So, assuming your assertion is true, it looks like Apple isn't
respecting such flags. :-)

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof Ralph Martin                   Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
School of Computer Science          Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University                  Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath                 WWW:   http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, United Kingdom   VOIP:  sip:rrmwork at iptel.org

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>