[OS X TeX] BibTeX, BibDesk, EndNote

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Jan 31 14:11:47 EST 2005

On 31.01.2005, at 19:20, Holger Frauenrath wrote:

> I have a couple of questions concerning BibTeX/Bibdesk:
>
> When I tried to export my Endnote library (actually, a fraction of it
> containing approximately 300 references) to a .bib file, I first ran
> into problems with the encoding when I opened it in Bibdesk. By trial
> and error, I found that changing the default behavior in the
> preferences from "Read as TeX in ASCII encoding" to "Read as Unicode
> TeX using above encoding" and the encoding set to "Mac OS Roman"
> (which, I guess is what is exported by Endnote), Bibdesk would open
> the bib file without any error messages.
>
> Is this the correct way of doing it? Are there any drawbacks in terms
> of BibTeX compatibility? Do I have to do anything with this file (like
> saving it with a different encoding)? When I save a .bib file from
> Bibdesk, is it necessarily syntactically correct?
>
> When I then tried to TeX a document with this .bib, BibTeX failed with
> the following error message:
>
>> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.3)
>> The top-level auxiliary file: nanostructures.aux
>> The style file: wiley.bst
>> Database file #1: carbon_nano.bib
>> Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's buffer size 5000
>> Aborted at line 851 of file carbon_nano.bib
>> (That was a fatal error)
>
> Is it possible that the file is indeed too large (I do not consider
> 300 references a lot)? Is there anything else going wrong?

This error has nothing to do with BibDesk. BibTeX has a limit of the
size of the fields it can handle. Often this is simply a problem of Mac
vs Unix linebreaks. Check out if you have Mac line breaks in your .bib
file. Removing them may help you. If this doesn't do the trick and your
entry is really too big, there's little you can do, I have bibtex
fields which are too long for bibtex to handle. I was looking for a
bibtex version with bigger buffers some time, but was unsuccesful then…

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97