[OS X TeX] BibTeX, BibDesk, EndNote

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 31 16:38:11 EST 2005

On 31 jan 2005, at 20:11, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> This error has nothing to do with BibDesk. BibTeX has a limit of the
> size of the fields it can handle. Often this is simply a problem of
> Mac vs Unix linebreaks. Check out if you have Mac line breaks in your
> .bib file. Removing them may help you. If this doesn't do the trick
> and your entry is really too big, there's little you can do, I have
> bibtex fields which are too long for bibtex to handle. I was looking
> for a bibtex version with bigger buffers some time, but was
> unsuccesful then…

There is a well documented trick, which works for abstract and
annotation fields, and I believe the trick is even included in the
makebst tool (from the custom-bib bundle). Don't know how BibDesk will
handle those: put the abstract in a separate file (don't care how bit
it is), and replace the abstract field with {{\input{myfilename}}}. It
is advisable to choose the file-names wisely, and to have the files in
your TeX search path (~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/abstracts/... seems
suitable). Remember to give the files as well when you hand over the
bibtex database to someone else.

See http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bibstrtl

Unfortunately this does not work for author fields (and yes, there are
articles that hit this limit).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>